One of our favorite uses for the Instant Pot is the cooking potatoes. They come out with a great texture, perfectly done. In this recipe, you want them to be just shy of done, so you can handle them and cut them for the grill. They only need to be on the grill for a few minutes.
This is a delicious way to have a summer potato salad, but different enough for you and your guests to enjoy a new flavor profile. Grilling the potatoes adds a smoky dimension and is worth the extra time, but this would still be good without that step. Pouring the dressing over the hot potatoes and letting it sit for a few minutes allows the spuds to absorb some of the dressing and its flavor. We doubled this recipe for an 8 person backyard picnic, and had a little left over to enjoy the next day.
- 2 lbs new potatoes, small, red and yellow, scrubbed
- ½ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 8 sweet gherkins, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- Place 1 cup of water and a trivet into the pressure cooker. Place the scrubbed poked potatoes on top of the trivet. Close lid and pressure cook at High Pressure for 10 minutes for medium russet potatoes. Turn off the heat and Quick Release. Open the lid carefully.
- Try not to let them get super soft!
- While potatoes are cooking, whisk together the vinegar, mustard and oil in a large bowl, or use a blender. I like the blender for making really well emulsified dressings.
- Place the red onion, chopped pickles, and capers in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Drain potatoes, let cool then slice each in half or quarters. Place back into the pan.
- Heat the grill to medium.
- Brush the potatoes with 1/4 cup of the oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the potatoes on the grill, cut-side down and grill until lightly golden brown, about 5-6 minutes. Turn potatoes over and continue grilling until just cooked through, about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the grill and immediately add to the bowl with the other ingredients and gently stir to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the hot potatoes, stir gently, and let sit for a few minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Let sit at room temperature at least 15 minutes before serving.